Thursday, January 31, 2013

A lot to catch up on..

I realize I am REALLY far behind on blogging, and I have to apologize because I have been insanely busy and haven't been able to keep you all updated.
Bolivia is hot, really hot, but I am proud to say I'm surviving. I am constantly amazed by the things I see here, and I am continually learning.
Last week was the campamento de medio programa. I cannot believe that my time here is already half over! Since we're going out of the city for Carnaval (the big four day celebration all across Bolivia and other parts of South America), we stayed in Santa Cruz for the mi-projet instead of going away. It was a week packed full with group activities, and counterpart talks. In the end I think it was fairly productive!
Over the past few weeks we have been going out once a week to collect money for Casa de la Mujer. We have raised a pretty good amount of money, though I'm not sure exactly how much. We're planning to continue collecting weekly until the end of the program, and hopefully we will reach our goal!
My Spanish has gotten a lot better since coming to Bolivia, and I can now hold my own in most conversations! I am still practicing every chance I get though, and I have a lot more to learn.
My work placement is absolutely incredible! I will blog more about it later, because its so great it deserves a separate post. But it is partly to blame for me being too busy to blog.
I know this is just a really quick update, and I apologize, but my Education Day is tomorrow so I have to get back to working on it!
My counterparts (Sophie and Danitza) and I are running the education day tomorrow on the topic of abortion. Abortion isn't legal in Bolivia, but just as many abortions happen yearly in Bolivia as they do in Canada. The difference though is that in Canada the abortions are in safe, supervised environments, while in Bolivia they are happening illegally, in unsafe locations. I have learned a lot about abortion and its situation around the world, now I can only hope that tomorrow the rest of the group learns just as much!
Hasta proxima.. and it will be soon I promise!



No comments:

Post a Comment