Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Playing catch-up.. the work placement

And the work begins..
After a few days of settling into Saint-Jerome and getting to know our way around, the group began the visits to work placements. The point of these visits was to learn a little bit about all of the options we had for where we would be doing volunteer work for the next three months. Each work placement would have one Canadian and one Bolivian working at it.
We visited a variety of places; from an Alzheimer community center, an arts studio for people on the street, a soup kitchen/rencontre, all the way to a private school. But the one that stood out the most for me was Le Coffret (Meridien 74); an immigration office and community centre. It is the center in charge of helping all of the immigrants coming into the Laurentians. Most of these immigrants are refugees (a significant number are from the Bhutanese refugee camps in Nepal), and more recently many are beginning to come from parts of Africa.
Le Meridien 74 is also the location of a banque alimentaire that is held every Wednesday morning for people in the neighborhood who cannot afford their own food. It also has a small store attached that runs entirely off donated items, and then sells them for a reaaally low price so people living with very little can afford them. (Ex: sweater for 1$). Along with all of that, Le Coffret has a cafe/restaurant that provides a full meal lunch (ex: pasta, salad, bread, and dessert) every day for 2$. This too is a service many of the people living below the poverty line are very glad for.
This seemed like a perfect place for me. I was sure it was exactly the type of work I wanted to do for my placement. So I picked Le Coffret/Meridien 74 as my number one, and I was paired with Luis (25, Spanish teacher, father of one, Bolivian).
We began our work at Le Coffret on October first, and we were immediately warmly welcomed into the tight group of employees and volunteers. Throughtout the first two weeks of work I have worked practically everywhere.. the exhibit upstairs during culture week, "La cuisine des Anges" (my nails are still stained from red peppers), the food bank (on wednesdays), the store attached, and even as a hostess during a special event.
I have gotten to know so many incredible people, (many who have been through continuously hard times, yet they still always have a smile on their face), and I have already learned SO MUCH.
I wonder; if I have learned this much already then how much more will I learn and grow in the next five months?

No comments:

Post a Comment