Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Carnaval !

I realized I have been mentioning Carnaval in my posts, but I don't believe I have explained it yet..


Carnaval is the big four day celebration in Bolivia, and a few other parts of South America. It is a very big deal, and everything closes down for it. The month before Carnaval is filled with pre-carnaval's (shows and parades), and pre-carnaval parties. The actual celebration is very different depending on what district of Bolivia you are in, but it is all based originally off culture.

I don't know a lot about it because I haven't experienced it yet. But luckily it is next week (Sunday to Wednesday), so I will be here for it! Our group is all going to Samaipata, because it is a bit safer than the city during Carnaval. What I know of Carnaval so far is that there is a lot of dancing and music, a lot of water and paint fights, and that I need to figure out how to hide my hair because the paint takes months to come out.. so not much really. But I am very excited for it!
If you google it you can find more information on it, including lots of pictures!


No comments:

Post a Comment