Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Plataforma Solidaria

My work placement is Plataforma Solidaria; an education, sports, and nutrition center for kids in one of the poorer districts of the city.
This past week was a one-week long summer camp for some of the kids from the neighborhood. It was kind of a end of summer thing since school starts this week, and there were around 30 kids participating.
I, along with about four other volunteers and the Plataforma staff, got to meet and work with a lot of great kids. Each day of the camp had a theme; some days were purely sports, others were "Carnaval games", etc. Since the past week was REALLY hot we spent a lot of time playing with water, and cooling off with activities in the shade or inside.
I really enjoyed the week with all the kids, and I got to know some great kids as well as improve my spanish! A group of the younger kids loved it when I read stories to them (even with my accent) so every day at lunch we would have a little story time and I would read to them. I learned a lot from these kids about the culture as well.
I was really surprised to see the way these kids interacted with each other; within half an hour of meeting everyone acted like siblings. They would discipline, teach, rough around, and protect each other like they were all related. Most of these kids came from really poor homes, and rough situations. A lot of them didn't get enough to eat on a regular basis, and were dealing with big problems in their homes. This is a neighborhood where most kids have probably begun doing drugs by the time they are twelve years old. But when they come to the camp they are all up-beat, eager to learn, and kids. I think the camp gave them all the opportunity to escape and just be kids.
I'm sad that the summer is over, and all the kids have gone back to school. Thankfully though my work is full of surprises and I can't wait to see what they have for me next!
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, since its too dangerous for me to carry a camera. But my boss took some photos so I am going to try and get his pictures, then post them later on. Until then you can just imagine a lot of really incredible, smiling, Bolivian children and I!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment