Sunday, February 17, 2013

Virgen de la Candelaria; Samaipata celebration

On the weekend of February second I went to Samaipata with my host family and counterparts. This was the same weekend as the celebration for the Virgen de la Candelaria (which is officially February 2nd).
There were a lot of stuff happening in the downtown, and with the church. We got to watch one of the main processions from the church, and it was really interesting to see! I was able to film a part of it to share with you all, but it won't upload. :( I will continue trying to upload it though! Here are a few photos I took of the celebration;



On this same trip Sophie and I had the lovely (not at all) opportunity of encountering the biggest spider I have ever seen. I mean this thing was HUGE, and it was in our bedroom. Unfortunately when we found it Sophie and I were home alone.. this was not fun. We spent about an hour with the spider; 45 minutes staring at it scared it would move, and 15 minutes actually getting it out of the house. We finally got the giant spider (it was actually larger than my hand) out by covering it with a big popcorn bowl, sliding a place mat between it and the wall, running out of the house as fast as possible, and throwing it into the yard. Let's just call it a learning experience.. one I never ever want to repeat again! Here is the spider:



No comments:

Post a Comment